Wednesday, October 9, 2013

"Hey Mister, You Want to Buy Something?"

“In the same way that I tend to make up my mind about people within thirty seconds of meeting them, I also make up my mind about whether a business proposal excites me within about thirty seconds of looking at it. I rely far more on gut instinct than researching huge amounts of statistics.” 
― Richard Branson

If you live in a City, chances are you see door to door sales people. Often... In Baltimore, I have Jehovah's Witnesses, selling me salvation; High School young men selling me the Baltimore Sun; window companies; painting contractors, and assorted other "sales professionals" who visit my home regularly. Always during dinner. Weird, huh?

Full disclosure to all of my clients: DO NOT DO THIS! (But understand the same lesson I learned tonight for the cost of $46.00). Lesson: Why first impressions matter. What are you doing to make a great first impression that helps your prospect decide to buy.

This evening, a group of six young children knocked on my door. The children ranged in age from what looked like 8 to about 13, or 14. A handsome young boy was the "front man", as the other children stayed off to the side. He appeared to be 10 or 11 years old, clean cut, earnest, smiling, but hesitant. When I opened the door, with my trusty Weimaraner, Max, by my side; the young boy said "Hey Mister, you want to buy something?"

I was in the middle of cooking dinner; a chicken pesto over penne with wine/garlic and so I looked at him and said "No. No thank you". He smiled and started heading to the neighbor's brownstone as I closed my door. I hurried back to the kitchen to check on my chicken creation. Less than a minute. The chicken hadn't burned. Way to go, Coach...

Then I started thinking. What was he selling? Why was he selling it? He seemed like a honest, clean cut, earnest, and clearly brave, boy. I found myself liking him, and his initiative! So I went back to my window and started watching the group of children go door to door. Some people were not home. Some answered and bought, some answered and didn't buy, and some didn't answer even though I know they were home. I would watch for a little while, hurry  back to the kitchen to check on my dinner creation, and go watch again. What was he selling? Why did I shut my door on this child without even asking what he wanted to sell, or why he was selling it. I started to feel like a jerk. Why hadn't I asked? Why didn't I talk with him/them more? I was thinking about how brave this 10-11 year old boy is to go door to door, and I couldn't even bother to engage him. What does that say about me?

Finally, I couldn't take it any more and so I opened my door and chased them down the block. This was just about the time I heard a whistle; their Mom, calling them to come over. As I was heading towards them, they were running towards me and the beckoning whistle of Mom to come home. Sales duty over. As I got even with them, I said "Hey, Kid! I never even asked what you're selling. What are you selling?"

He stopped and told me he is selling pizza. I asked him why. He told me he is selling it for his school, the local Baltimore Public School. I then asked him why they wanted him to sell pizza. "I don't know. It's for school. My teacher handed me this sheet today and told me to get it filled up and that I have to turn it in by the 21st.". "Okay", I said; "I'll buy some pizza".

I took him back to my porch, and asked if he had a pen. Nope. So I told him to wait, went back to the kitchen, got a pen, went back to him, and filled out his form with my name, address, and what I wanted to order (3 cheese pizza kits and 3 pepperoni). I saw the price would be $46.00 and asked if I needed to pay now. He said "Yes". I went back to the kitchen, pilfered the $46.00 from my girlfriend's purse (note to would be muggers: I never carry cash so I'm not a good target unless you're hoping to score a bunch of coffee receipts from Starbucks, Panera, or the Stone Mill Bakery), and ran back to the front door to happily hand over our money.

He thanked me, smiled and I thanked him in return. I closed the door. Transaction over. Why did I buy? Because he made such a great first impression. And I liked him. Instantly. I instinctively had a strong, good feeling about this boy to the point that I felt guilty for my initial reaction of closing my door on him. I felt bad for saying "No". Heck, I hadn't even bothered to ask what he was selling or why? What sort of person does that make me?

I've probably read 100+ books on sales, marketing, and assorted other business topics that each, in their own way, touch on the importance of your first impression, the power of being well liked, and the power of relating. Mentally, I know how and why that works. I just got to experience it first hand. From someone 30+ years my junior. I saw a clean cut, brave/scared, well spoken, polite, earnest boy and liked and related to him. He made a great first impression. He got the sale. In fact, he got chased down my street for the sale. Thank you, Paul, for teaching me this valuable lesson.

By the way, the chicken? Yeah, it is burned.

Paul made a fantastic first impression, I liked and related to him and his task. Paul got a sale. What are YOU doing to make a strong first impression, be well liked, and to relate to your clients and prospects?

No comments:

Post a Comment